Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Mentoring Workshop at ACA

Last week I was at the Atlantic Center for the Arts in New Smyrna Beach, FL, with twelve mentoring students. This is an independent study workshop, in which everyone (including me) works on her own work, and I offer individual critique and facilitate group discussions. We used the dance studio, which has beautifully high ceilings, lots of natural light, and plenty of space for us each to have an 8'x8' wall to work on.

Here are a few studio shots:




A couple shots of my workspace:



And some of my works in process:

24"x24" on panel

20"x20" on canvas

36"x36" on canvas

24"x24" on panel

20"x20" on canvas

36"x36" on canvas

19"x25" on paper

19"x25" on paper

19"x25" on paper

19"x25" on paper

19"x25" on paper

19"x25" on paper
I began by working on larger canvases and then smaller canvases and panels. Then, for the last two days I worked on paper. For the whole week most of us (including me) worked on multiple pieces at once. Our housing and meals were right there on campus, so we had no obligations other than to paint!

10 comments:

  1. oh would love to do this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word!!! Painting for a whole week with you? No other worry than painting? Talking about art? It sounds like heaven to me!!! This is my dream!! What a wonderful birthday or Christmas present it woud be; why doesn't anybody around me think about it? I must start advertising it by writing big obvious posters all around the house, see if anyone gets the hint. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, everyone. Yeah, it was pretty fun, and very productive! This kind of workshop is by invitation and application, consisting mostly of people who have taken regular workshops with me in the past. I hope to do more of these mentoring workshops in coming years.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jane,
    I've taken many enjoyable workshops from you and have been developing my own work for some time. I would like to join one of your mentoring workshops especially one in the Pacific Northwest. Do you keep a list for this? Have you got a date scheduled or where do I go for info?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing what you’ve all done in this beautiful space together. Nice to understand these are mostly for continuing workshop painters. I’m signed up for an online in Sept and my goal is to work up to a mentoring experience! Thank you Jane!

      Delete
  4. Uninterrupted painted. What’s that like??? 🌻🌻Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT is intense! And productive too, though making "finished" paintings is not the goal. The goal is to get deeper into your work. Hoping to do more of these in coming years.

      Delete
  5. Supplements For Fitness There are some excellent weight loss supplements available that can help you with your efforts. You must make sure you are using the correct complementary invoice that is made with quality ingredients. Understanding what

    ReplyDelete

I have had some spam comments lately, advertising of stupid stuff. So I am moderating comments until I can figure out a better way to prevent spam. THANKS!